OCEAN DISCOVERY ZONE
SEADREAM WINS THE PRINCE OF WALES AWARD 2022 for their OCEAN DISCOVERY ZONE PROGRAMME!
Seadream Education is thrilled to announce that they are joint winners of the prestigious Prince of Wales Award 2022 from Devon County Show, for their Ocean Discovery Zone outreach programme! The award is given to projects and organisations who have made the most outstanding contribution to improving the lives of their community and will be presented at this year’s show on Friday 1st July.
The Ocean Discovery Zone outreach programme travels the length and breadth of the county showcasing the wonders of the Ocean and culminates in the large installation at Devon County Show. This is one of the biggest features on the showground and a real highlight of the show, where visitors are invited to engage in fun and meaningful activities and resources designed to connect them to Devon’s wealth of coastal waters.
Dr Juliette Jackson is delighted to have won the Award: ‘We are passionate about developing new content to engage the community as well as make it interactive, immersive and accessible to all groups. We are thrilled to receive any additional support that will help us achieve our goals.’
Visit our Ocean Discovery Zone at Devon County Show 2022!
Seadream Education’s Ocean Discovery Zone is FREE to enter and one of the biggest features on the Devon County Showground – a real highlight of the show, where we invite visitors to engage in fun and meaningful activities and resources designed to connect them to Devon’s wealth of coastal waters. Led by a team of professionals, from conservationists to marine biologists, we bring the ocean to our communities and showcase the wonders of the seas! We are passionate about inclusivity and accessibility and invite you to come and explore Devon’s Coastline, following areas of Shoreline, Harbours, Under the Sea, Deep Sea and Environment, with lots of hands-on fun activities, crafts and immersive experiences. We will also be featuring our achievements and activities with the community groups we work with.
- Explore underwater with our VR headsets, taking you under the Devon Ocean to experience close encounters with wildlife!
Seadream Education has been creating new technical educational resources with the use of our underwater Remotely Operated Vehicles and we would like to share this with you! We will be taking you on an undersea adventure and an ocean voyage to explore our local coastal habitat.
Have a go at controlling our Min ROVs and see our coastal operational ROV – Remotely Operated Vehicle. This underwater drone is controlled from above the water to use for habitat mapping and underwater exploration. You will get the chance to see this advanced technology as well as have a go at operating and controlling our mini ROVs!
- Explore our shorelines – lots of things to explore and handle including shells, mermaids purses and more.
- Have a go at our Habitat Hunt challenge – understanding the diverse homes and environments in the sea.
- Explore the Deep Sea in our immersive “Deep Sea walkthrough Experience!” and see creatures from the Deep!
- Join in our South West Jellyfish Survey and find out more about these amazing creatures! We love to hear from anyone who sees jellyfish in the sea or washed ashore. You can send info about your sightings to us at email@example.com. We started just looking at the South Coast of Devon, but jellyfish don’t know where the boundaries are so we have expanded to cover all coasts of South West England and the offshore islands like Lundy and Scilly. We collect sightings data and use that to help us decide where to look for juvenile jellyfish and where to collect water samples for our eDNA research. We love talking jellies so come and see us at the show and see how you can get involved! https://www.facebook.com/SouthWestEnglandJellyfishSurvey/
- Meet the BDMLR – British Divers Marine Life Rescue. Formed in 1988, when a few like-minded divers got together in response to a mass mortality of common seals in the Wash area of East Anglia, to do what they could for the rescue effort in response to the Phocine Distemper Virus epidemic that resulted in thousands of deaths. Since 1988, BDMLR has been involved in the rescue of marine wildlife after every major marine disaster, including the Braer shipwreck in Shetland, the Sea Empress grounding in Milford Haven, and the Napoli shipwreck in Dorset.
Seal rescue has remained a major component of the BDMLR’s work, with medics rescuing animals in all seasons around the UK. Come and meet our local BDMLR team and see their life size marine animals on display! https://bdmlr.org.uk/
- Meet the Seal Project Team – South Devon is one of the locations fortunate to regularly see Grey Seals, however these are a globally rare species, so The Seal Project here in Devon was set up to monitor and protect these amazing creatures, reduce negative impact factors and raise awareness of the importance of protecting them. Along with these Globally rare Grey Seals they are fortunate to also monitor and record a small number of Common Seals. They observe, record & recognise many of these seals as they return time and again to our shores. Come and find out all about the amazing work they do. https://www.thesealproject.org/
- Meet and learn all about the local charity Pipal Tree, a fantastic South Hams based charity working to restore, protect and take up the fight against environmental degradation and climate change in Nepal, before it’s all too late. https://www.facebook.com/PipalTreeUK https://www.pipaltree.org.uk/
- Outreach education and community work – We will be showcasing workshops, community work, trips and activities we carry out across South Devon.
Seadream offers such a wide range of workshops and activities that can be tailored to suit age/theme and include fabulous, immersive activities and experiments, using lots of fun resources. We cover STEAM – Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths, as well as Environment and Conservation, Community and more! We visit Schools, organisations, community groups, businesses and will be showcasing some of the work we do with these workshops throughout the year. https://www.seadreameducation.com/seadream-workshops/
- See our work on various projects, collaborating with many different organisations throughout Devon, including our GREETS project – Getting Ready For Employment, Education and Training (GREETS) where we are supporting and encouraging individuals to progress and learn transferable skills. https://www.seadreameducation.com/collaborative-projects/
Leave your pledge to the oceans and environment as you exit the Ocean Discovery Zone
SEE YOU THERE!
Buy your Devon County Show Tickets HERE