Seadream offers such a wide range of workshops and activities that we haven’t got room to fit them all in here!
Below we have shown some examples of the workshops we are taking out and about at the moment, but there are so many more and we are of course happy to tailor the themes or combine the themes to suit you!
All our workshops can be tailored to suit age/theme and include fabulous, immersive activities and experiments, using lots of fun resources.
We cover STEAM – Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths, as well as Environment and Conservation, Community and more!
Get in touch to let us know how we can help you or if there is something you are interested in that isn’t mentioned below!
SOUND (Primary KS1-3 and Secondary KS4)
Seadream have fine-tuned this workshop!…..We have a unique and fun range of demo’s to help increase understanding of scientific principles of sound. The sessions are perfectly pitched for all ages and blend fascinating and fun physics with brilliant biology.
- Keywords: Vibration/ waves/ pitch/ amplification.
- Activities: Amplify the music/ groaning tubes/ boom whackers/ Surprising slinky sounds.
- Props: Slinky and cup/ Ping pong ball/ dolphin skull/ ear model/ flute.
SEE WHAT’S UNDER YOUR LOCAL SEA!
Get hands on with equipment needed to view the underwater world. Role play with our fantastic collection of real-life fish and marine mammals. Follow the Kingsbridge estuary and learn about all the marine life that lives and visits our local waters. We’ll be looking at some fascinating finds from the shoreline too!
- Keywords: Chart/ compass/ SCUBA/ Marine.
- Activities: Get your bearings with a local area chart and compass.
- Props: SCUBA kit/ Diving helmet/ fascinating fish/ Seal rescue kit/ strandline finds.
CONSERVATION and the ENVIRONMENT
The Seadream Directors are passionate about their local environment and will share their current research in a fun and meaningful way. We will raise aspirations to become environmental stewards.
- Keywords: Plastic pollution/ Marine Mammal Medic/ Habitats/ Buoyancy/ Water column/ ocean currents/ tides.
- Activities: Learn about seagrass restoration/ Make a seed bomb and/or a beeswax wrap/ simulate a marine mammal rescue/ Test the buoyancy of plastic pollution and relate to area of the water column.
- Props: Survey equipment (quadrat/ sieve)/ Litter pickers/ Seagrass seeds/ model yacht – real anchor and mooring buoy.
Learn the importance of shifting towards renewable energy – and the need for a generation of super engineers to continue making awesome breakthroughs in energy production. Get inspired to become a net zero hero!
- Keywords: Renewable/ Climate change/ Global Warming/ Electricity/ Fossil fuel/ solar/ tide/ wind/ hydro/ Archimedes screw/ Light/ Carbon footprint/ Net Zero/ Polar habitats.
- Activities: Test the power of the sun/ See the rainbows/ Can you raise the water with the Archimedes screw?
- Props: Solar panel/ voltmeters/ wind turbine/ Archimedes screw/ iceberg.
THE BRAIN and DEMENTIA AWARENESS
Being aware of how truly amazing our brains are, and how dementia gradually breaks all the wonderful connections that make us work, will make it easier to recognise signs of dementia as well as promote compassion and comfort through shared understanding. The sessions are structured in a positive light about how our brains work.
- Keywords: Brain/ Dementia/ Alzheimer’s/ Neurons.
- Activities: Dress up as neurones and play games about messages.
- Props: Model brain/ MRI scans/ costumes.
OUR BODIES and OTHER ANIMALS
We can tailor this session depending on the chosen slant of the workshop.
- Keywords: Skeleton/ Heart/ Brain/ Mammal.
- Activities: Feather waterproofing/ blubber glove insulation/ pump the blood.
- Props: Full size human skeleton/ fascinating skulls of different animals/ fur/ feathers/ microscope and various slides/ X-rays.
With funding from the proceeds of crime, which has been taken from convicted illegal money lenders. Seadream makes “money, debt, loan sharks and earning” an inspiring topic. We lay out the facts about sharks and other predatory species, that, like loan sharks, coerce their prey, are sly and sinister, and target struggling victims. These sessions will raise awareness, teach the signs and methods of loan sharks and will be memorable. It is quite likely the sessions will be discussed at home too!
- Keywords: money/ debt/ loan sharks/ legal and illegal earning/ predator/ prey.
- Activities: Hands-on props/ in trouble…get in a bubble! / slime your way out/ UV torches to check for counterfeit notes.
- Props: skulls/ teeth/ cuddly prey/ shark egg cases/ bubble/ shoreline predator evidence/ UV.
Other examples of workshops in the Seadream Programme
- The Science of Bubbles – Lots of “fairy clean fun” learning about the chemical structure of soap, bubbles in nature, shape and efficiency. If you have never stepped into a bubble then now is your chance!
- Design, Construction and Impact testing.
- Publish Your Passion – Inspire others by creating literature to share your knowledge and passion, whether that is science, engineering, climate change, marine wildlife.
- Creative Engineering and Energy Transfer.
- Everyday Engineering – Practical and exciting activities that show how things work and how engineering effects our everyday lives.
- Cool Chemistry – Making and testing bath bombs, universal indicator and exploring the properties of gases with dry ice.
- Circuits, Electricity and Magnetism – Games, experiments and energising activities to engage and inspire.
- Passionate about Plankton and Barmy for Bugs? – Explore these drifting organisms that live in the surface layers of the ocean and the thousands of species of bugs that live amongst us on land.
Depending on our current funders, Seadream can often offer free or subsidised workshops, but in the event that we do not have any current free opportunities, workshop rates are in the region of £200 per day but are negotiable.
Please get in touch to discuss opportunities and rates.